Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Review: Encore

I was able to, through someone's iTunes library on the school network, listen to Encore before its release on November 12th. I also realize that no matter what anyone says, this album will be huge.

But I'm having a hard time coming up with the right words to describe it.

I wouldn't say it was awful. But I also wouldn't say its too great, either. I think it illustrates the kind of music Em's been making lately. (I can call him Em. We tight.) I think it sounds a lot like The Eminem Show, which definitely had its share of good songs, but wasn't worth the $18.99 they were charging for it.

I really liked Eminem's first album. Even the second one wasn't bad. But the last two just seem to be made for the sake of making them; they don't seem to be too inspired or heartfelt, they're just.....blah. Case in point: Just Lose It. It's boring to listen to. It's not really saying anything, its just there to exist. A lot of this album is like that.

That's not to say there aren't any good tracks: Never Enough should have been the first single. Its got Fiddy on it, and its just one of those songs you know you're going to hear at parties for a while. Toy Soldiers was pretty decent, talking about ending this feud Eminem has with Ja Rule. Puke is just a goofy song about his ex-wife. [See? Even in these goods songs, he's just recycling subjects he's already beaten to death.] Mosh at least has a message. My 1st Single is another stupid but catchy song that is just filled with nonsense, which is much more fun to listen to than a song by like Lil' Wayne which is complete babbling about nothing. I dare anyone to tell me what any Cash Money song is about, other then that they have a lot of things.

Ass Like That has a part about Triumph (the dog puppet from Conan). I was thinking while I heard that about how weird it is you can link Conan and Eminem into a sort of feud.

But otherwise, that the rest of it is just "Eh." So five songs out of the twenty tracks are good. To me, that really doesn't warrant a purchase. But, especially with Eminem and white college kids, you have to have the album. And play it to death. Everywhere you go. I can't really see anyone listening to Just Lose It in a few years. And the rest of the album is just the same: filler. I only buy an album when I like all the songs on it. This is not an album purchase.

But I know no one will take my advice. So go run out and buy it, listen to it, lie to yourself that it's another classic, than go talk to everyone about it. If you were smart, you'd buy a few tracks on iTunes. That's about it.

GRADE: A barely passing 65%. Don't waste your money on the whole album.

2 comments:

Dave said...

But compare The Eminem Show to his two other albums. Although T.E.S. wasn't bad, it is better than most of the stuff out there, it wasn't up to what he had done before. This new one is the same deal, not terrible, but not as good as we know our little boy Marshall can do.

Dave said...

Go listen to The Slim Shady LP all the way through, then The Eminem Show. Slim Shady LP actually talks real stuff, and he's not an egotistical asshole yet.

Switch to The Eminem Show and he's turning into every other rapper: talking about how whose ass he'll kick, how tough he is, yakkety yak yak.

It's probably because he wasn't famous yet, but his first was the best. They don't compare side-by-side.