Tuesday, November 09, 2004

IT'S BACK BABY!

I was surprised to get a call from Kristin the other day while she was in town:

Kristin: "Guess what's back."
Me: "I don't know. Tell me."
Kristin: "Guess."
Me: "I don't know. Tell me."
Kristin: "It's more fun if you guess."
Me: "I don't have time for these baby games. Just tell me."
Kristin: "They brought back the Wild Mountain Chicken sandwich."

Needless to say, I was happy. A little annoyed, but happy. This is one of the best chicken sandwiches in the world. And one day it just disappeared. I lost respect for our favorite Pigtailed Redhead when they pulled it off the menu. It didn't make sense; it was unlike any other sandwich they had: chicken breast, Monterey Jack cheese, bacon, and a spicy peppery sauce, all on a Kaiser bun. Heaven, I tell you, Heaven.

But one day it was just gone. No more big signs in the window, no more commercials. It was like the ghost of Dave Thomas was trying to ruin the company.

And it was funny; it was one of these things that everyone I knew that tried it loved it. I had conversations about it with both my brother and Jackobel. If a chicken sandwich can generate more than one discussion, its got to be good.

But then the strangest thing happened.

The Wild Mountain Chicken sandwich was gone. No more big posters in the windows. No more commercials. It was like it had fallen off the face of the Earth. But now, after long last, it is back.

Wendy's had been sitting on the recipe for a while. Turns out that Bigfoot (or, if you will, Sasquatch) came up with the sandwich (hence Wild Mountain) in the 1970s. Wendy's management didn't think that the American people weren't ready for the unrelenting spiciness this sandwich contained, and the kept it a secret until they thought the public was ready.
With the influx of Latin culture during the 90s, Wendy's finally decided that we were ready. Boy were we ever.

What's most surprising is why Wendy's got rid it in the first place. The Wild Mountain Chicken sandwich was given credit for raising Wendy's sales singlehandedly.

If that doesn't make you believe in its awesome power, nothing will.

I suggest to each and every one of you to go out and buy one now. If Wendy's is closed, sit in the parking lot until it opens. I promise you won't be disappointed.


As the old saying goes, you shouldn't judge a book
by its cover. You also shouldn't judge a sandwich by the
unappealing way it is presented by some prepubescent
dork.

No comments: