Sunday, November 28, 2004

The New Obsession



Over the break, I experienced something that I am glad I do not have constant access to, as I would never do any work ever again. This thing would be Donkey Konga.

The basic premise of the game is you take a controller shaped like two bongo drums and simply hit and clap to the beat of a song on the screen. There is a little microphone in the middle of the drums to pick up the claps, which eventually makes your hands numb as all hell. It sounds pretty childish, which it is. But it is as hard and infatuating as anything you will ever do in your life.

This game entered my life after playing it briefly at Circuit City on Friday. Joe Gibbs must have sneezed on Jackobel, because after Chris played it for little more than fifteen minutes, he ran home to see what he could sell to buy the game. He resurrected his dusty old Gamecube sitting alone in a random crawlspace, brushed it off, made sure it worked, then scrambled to the store to buy this spontaneous purchase.

All Friday night, two twenty-something college students sat on the floor and hit bongo drums to the tune of "Louie Louie". And loved every minute of it. Hell, even Kristin and Kathleen wanted to play.

Chris got back up to Geneseo, where all his housemates are now equally as obsessed. I can't get it out of my mind. Every song I hear now, I see red, yellow, and pink circles floating in front of me. I have an irrepressible desire to clap.

Play Donkey Konga to give your life meaning.



My new weapon of choice


No comments: