Monday, October 24, 2005

Luden's: Cough Medicine or Candy?

Because of the recent Noah reenactment going on in the Northeast part of the country, never ending rain topped off with a touch of 40-degree weather, I now find myself with a cold. And I'm one of these people who never gets sick; the total times I've been genuinely sick in the last ten years (not counting the times I faked it to get out of going to high school,) has to be less then five. So when I really am sick, it pisses me off. The amount of yellow/white colored snot that has been flying out of my nose has been astronomical, not to mention the incessant wet coughing.

To combat these symptoms, I picked up a box of Tylenol Cold with day and night tablets, and the essential remedy for anyone who has ever even remotely had a sore throat: Luden's Wild Cherry Cough Drops. When I pulled the bag off the shelf along with the box of Tylenol, Kristin says to me: "Oh please, like that's going to do anything. Luden's isn't medicine, it's candy." But is she right?

I can remember going to Walgreen's with my brother in Florida and buying the little boxes of Luden's with the little wax paper bag inside purely for the taste; I think it was my mother who introduced the little delicious red miracles to us.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
My dad also once actually forced me to take a menthol Luden's when I had a cough on the way to a restaurant. I told him the menthol was making me feel nauseous. He told me to stop being such a little faker crybaby. I threw up when we got to the restaurant.

Asides from the evil menthol mutation, Luden's is admittedly a fantastic treat. They taste so good. You can't beat the delicious cherry flavor that seeps out of it. Most cough drops taste like grandpa; all medicine-y and unpleasant. Which is why Luden's is every sane person's choice when you have a tickle in your throat.

But do they actually work? It says the active ingredient in Luden's is pectin, which is apparently a cough suppressant. But when I checked the definition of pectin, it says:

1 : any of various water-soluble substances that bind adjacent cell walls in plant tissues and yield a gel which is the basis of fruit jellies
2 : a product containing mostly pectin obtained as a powder or syrup (as by extraction with acid of citrus peels, dried apple pomace, or dried sugar beet slices) and used chiefly in making jelly and other foods, in pharmaceutical products especially for the control of diarrhea, and in cosmetics


So pretty much, it doesn't have anything to do with a cough, unless that cough is coming out of your ass and is full of diarrhea. Plus, two of the inactive ingredients mentioned on the Luden's package are corn syrup and sucrose, which are sugar agents typically found in anything sweet.

And, to be honest, I really have never experienced any effects from using Luden's during a sore throat. I think the only reason you might feel better is because you end up eating like 40 of them and have more sugar in your blood than a gallon of Dr. Pepper.

So pretty much, Kristin caught me in my deceit: I can use my cough as an excuse to eat "medical" candy and not have to feel bad about it. Not that it will make me stop buying or eating them. They're too damn delicious.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

The lemon ones are pretty dope too.

Dave said...

I wasn't even aware they made lemon ones. I've seen cherry, menthol, and some sort of crazy berry combo flavor.

Anonymous said...

LOL I could have written this myself. My own dad was a staunch opposer to these "candies." As such he always made us use the Hall's brand. I hated them.

againstagamemnon said...

If you've never tried the citrus assortment luden's, you've never lived. There's a grapefruit flavor that is the best darn grapefruit candy (throat drop?) ever made. The only downside is there's like, one grapefruit candy in a whole bag of 30.

Anonymous said...

Orange is ny favorite :3

Deb said...

Haha. I get sinus infections a lot and it always gives me a sore throat from all the drainage. I loved Luden's as a kid too, but as an adult I realize they're just candy and I don't need all that sugar. Imagine my joy when I found a sugar free version of the wild cherry Luden's the other day! They don't taste bad at all (maybe that's because I've gotten so used to eating sugar free stuff), and anyway, having something to suck on and keep my throat moist makes it less sore. So at least it does that. If I'm not using Luden's, it's usually sugar free popsicles or something.

Anonymous said...

The cough drops do t actually do anything it's all mental, that's how a lot of medicines are, if you take it you will believe you will get better so your body makes you actually feel better

Anonymous said...

Omg yes the eluisive grapefruit cough drop. when I was prego I think I actually write a letter demanding a special edition release of only grapefruit. was it ludens or halls "defense". ? I don't know. but sooo delicious.

Chris Callahan said...

Supposedly the ones back in the 50's and 60's had glycerin instead of pectin. Supposedly it "coated" your throat removing the irritation. And supposedly pectin is supposed to do that. Hot tea would be just as effective and better for your health.

Stacy D said...

Bought some watermelon ones for my coughing 6 year old and they are amazing

Unknown said...

Pectin actually is a caught suppressent. It reduces swelling and irritation. It's not "in your head" yes some people are crazy and believe in things that don't work. But ludens, it works. Look up pectin and go on different websites. Not just a dictionary where whoever writes it might not know what they're talking about. Also the definition saying it helps prevent diarrhea. Pectin is fiber, to much fiber causes diarrhea. Man I hate people who post shit and feed false information to people. It works. I've used them and they work. You guys have all said you use them and they work. So what more do you want? Ludens actually used to make candy also. They still might idk, but why would they make candy if the cough drops are actually candy. Common sense. Moral of the story check more than one source. Don't use a dictionary for information. Use the dictionary for definitions. Now an encyclopedia on the other hand. Rofl!people these days.

Unknown said...

I have thw strawberry banana Luden beand.. and yea its a real thing. Only thing they so is soothe my throat.. thata good enough for me with thia nivw deliciousness of a "cough drop". Btw, got them from Meijers stores

Rawrtian 14 said...

This article took a rad turn near the end.

nihilcgrist1488 said...

i love the honey blk licourice, but got cherry yesterday bc cvs ran out. theydo help calm my throat.

Unknown said...

My 93 year old mother eats more than 10 Ludens Cherry Cough drops every night. This has been going on for many years. I've suggested a humidifier - nope, she doesn't want one. I've suggested lemon drops and/or throat moisturizers - nope, she's not interested in either.
My 2 big concerns are the distinct possibility of choking and how can she get any sleep if she's popping a minimum of 10 a night?
Has anyone else dealt with anything similar? Suggestions?

Anonymous said...

I have the watermelon and green apple right now, and they're both fantastic! Nothing can beat the original wild cherry though! I have to say, I was a little too upset to see that they changed the look of the bag and wrappers. Call me crazy, but that bag shown above takes me back to the only good thing about the fact that I was sick constantly as a kid...well, Luden's and the times that I was prescribed the oh-so-delicious amoxicillin haha. I've pretty much always tried to sneak some extra Luden's. And now, at 25 years old, I'm already over the cold that prompted my most recent Luden's purchase, but I'm sitting here, sucking on a drop as I type!

Unknown said...

He/she is right no medicine is mental.

Unknown said...

I want to thank you for the enlightenment, because I'm pretty ill at the moment with a touch of pneumonia, asthma and a really bad sore throat & no voice whatsoever lol...smh Again Thanks 👍

Unknown said...

Google Pectin, I have the flu as im typing and have eatin a half bag of Ludens because it's the only thing that keeps me from coughing. Maybe it is all in my head but at this poont i could careless as long as im not coughing up my lungs.

Unknown said...

A few years ago I was visiting my daughter and developed a terrible cough. Finally went to see a doctor. He told me that the menthol in the cough drops was making my throat worse. He told me to find some without menthol. Actually tougher than you think. I finally asked the pharmacist and she agreed with the doctor. She said she sees it all the time. She directed me to the Ludens and hganksave used them ever since. Tried a friends menthol recently in an emergency and same bad result. For me the pectin drips are the best.

Anonymous said...

I currently have 4 bags of drops. Mostly menthol of various strengths but also a large bag of ludens cherry drops with pectin. I'm no doctor but I can say that the menthol drops alone don't completely halt the itchy feeling that produces these painful coughs and I've found that mixing them produces the best effect... As well it helps cancel the flavor of some of these horrible menthol drops.

Anonymous said...

My throat was hurting and i ate a Ludens Watermelon Drop, i felt so much better after that! And then I almost ate the whole package cause they were so good!lol

Unknown said...

Supposedly. :-)

Tara Omar said...

Hiv disease for the last 3 years and had pain hard to eat and cough are nightmares,especially the first year At this stage, the immune system is severely weakened, and the risk of contracting opportunistic infections is much greater. However, not everyone with HIV will go on to develop AIDS. The earlier you receive treatment, the better your outcome will be.I started taking ARV to avoid early death but I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.As a Hiv patent we are advise to be taking antiretroviral treatments to reduce our chance of transmitting the virus to others , few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information on Hiv treatment with herbal medicine, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from Hiv her name was Achima Abelard and other Herpes Virus patent Tasha Moore also giving testimony about this same man,Called Dr Itua Herbal Center.I was moved by the testimony and i contacted him by his Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com OR info@drituaherbalcenter.com. We chatted and he send me a bottle of herbal medicine I drank it as he instructed me to.After drinking it he ask me to go for a test that how i ended my suffering life of Hiv patent,I'm cured and free of Arv Pills.I'm forever grateful to him Drituaherbalcenter.Here his contact Number +2348149277967...He assure me he can cure the following disease..Hiv,Cancer,Herpes Virus,Hpv,Pile,Weak Erection,Lyme Disease,Epilepsy,Glaucoma.,Brain Tumor,psoriasis, Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
Dementia. ,Bladder Cancer,Autism,Colorectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lung Cancer,Tay tach disease,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Lupus,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer, Seizures, fibromyalgia ,ALS,Hepatitis,Copd,Parkinson disease.Genetic disease,Fibrodysplasia disease,Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome,Stroke,Hpv,Weak Erection,Liver/Kidney Inflammatory,Men/Woman infertility, bowel disease ,Huntington's disease ,Diabetes,Fibroid...

Anonymous said...

found this thread trying to find out the purpose of pectin.

all i can say definitively is that Family Dollar's brand "Family Wellness" also has 7mg Pectin listed as the only active ingredient. it does indeed have a moderately "minty" feeling or otherwise described as "menthol light" feeling created in the back of the throat. there's definitely something happening even if it's not as effective as, say, Halls with menthol.

Unknown said...

The green apple is delicious.

Anonymous said...

Pectin can suppress a cough brought about by a tickle in the throat because it coats the throat temporarily, but it does nothing to sooth pain