Wednesday, April 13, 2005

"Your permanent record will one day disqualify you from all but the hottest and noisiest of jobs."

In my Fundamentals of Management class a while back, we had to take a standardized test which tells us what kind of manager 'type' we are.

This Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator Instrument "reports a person's preferred ways of attending to the world and making decisions."

Now for the most part, I believe standardized tests are nothing more than a scheme to sell #2 pencils and Scantron sheets. But when I got this thing back, I sat in class stunned: of the sixteen possible types a person could be, mine described me almost to a T.

Before we got the results back, she had us try to guess what the results would show us to be. I picked INTJ, which is:

Introversion (interest in ideas in your mind that explain the world)

INtuition (Interest in what can be imagined, seen with the mind's eye)

Thinking (Interest in what is logical and works by cause and effect)

Judging (Interest in acting by organizing, planning, deciding)

INTJ was also the personality type the test said I was. But this was not the part that amazed me; it was the extended description of INTJ people.

This is the description:

"Logical, critical, decisive, innovator of ideas; serious, intent, highly independent; concerned with organization, determined and often stubborn. With introverted intuition as their strongest mental process, at their best when inspiration turns insight into ideas and plans for improving human knowledge and systems.

Values: organized outer life; spontaneous inner life, conceptual skills, planful independent academic learning, originality independence of mind, intellectual quickness ingenuity, non-emotional tough mindedness, freedom from interference in projects, seeing complexities and hidden meanings, improving things by finding flaws, pursuing a vision; conceptualizing, working to a plan and schedule"

I laughed out loud when I saw the "improving things by finding flaws" comment.

Most people who know me would say this hits the nail on the head. More or less it's saying I'm an anal asshole that just wants everyone to leave them alone and let them do what they need to do to get shit done.

When you're right, you're right.

No comments: