Saturday, February 05, 2005

Review: Sideways


I am hesitant to write a review of Sideways; I'm pretty sure that after you read what I have to say, you'll think it's a pretty boring movie. It isn't, but then again I'm not very handy with words.

The plot of Sideways reminds me of the plot of a novel: two friends go on a week long trip to the California wine country and talk about life. Usually a synopsis like this turns me off immediately. I hate movies about whiny middle-class people who are angry at life for no good reason. But this movie isn't like that at all.

Paul Giamatti's character can't get over a divorce from his wife. Tom Church (who we all know from the TV show that single-handedly changed the face of television--Ned and Stacy) is Giamatti's polar opposite, and is a guy who just wants to party all the time and bang a lot of chicks--which is what causes a lot of problems considering he is getting married when these guys get back from their trip.

Nothing in the film was really too far-fetched. I hate these movies where the audience is supposed to just accept some ridiculous thing a character does just to advance the plot. I can't stand movies that do that. But all the character's actions go along with what they do the whole movie.

It had funny moments but I wouldn't really say it was funny.

It's really hard to describe. Maybe I liked it a lot because I, unfortunately, related to Miles. I was glad that it didn't make these wine tasting people look like very bright, deep, intelligent people. It kind of showed them to be very into themselves, like the only reason they sit there and describe wine with all these adjectives is so look smart kind of thing. But it also served as a device to illustrate how different the two friends were.

Regardless of how much I liked it, I can't see it winning the Best Picture Oscar. It kinds of lacks that punch that a Best Picture should have. Gish, who I saw this movie with on a little man-date we shared, said the Aviator was better.

Whatever, it was good. Worth the cash if you're OK with something that will be a little more subdued than your average flick. Plus, some fat waitress is naked in it. Perfect for the guy who likes a little meat with his potatoes, if you know what I'm sprayin'.

Grade: B+

No comments: