Friday, January 21, 2005

Dr. Zaius, Dr. Zaius

The Daily Show last night stole my idea to do a Freedom/Liberty count from the Inaugural speech yestersay (which, by the way, was 27 Freedoms and 15 Liberty's). Read the text of the speech here.

One selection from the speech took me off guard:

"
I ask our youngest citizens to believe the evidence of your eyes. You have seen duty and allegiance in the determined faces of our soldiers. You have seen that life is fragile, and evil is real, and courage triumphs. Make the choice to serve in a cause larger than your wants, larger than yourself - and in your days you will add not just to the wealth of our country, but to its character."

If this doesn't sound like a precursor to a possible draft, I don't know what would.

As I write this, it is -5 degrees here. Which isn't bad, considering this morning walking to class, it was -29 with the wind chill.

I get the feeling this semester is going to be the Semester of the Written Word. So far, every single one of my teachers has given a reading assignment. I've got like 4 chapters to read by Tuesday, and a 100+ essay by George Orwell I have to start.

I watched the movie Amadeus today. Not bad. Weird, but not bad. The guy who played Mozart was pretty fucking funny with that laugh.

Play my favorite board game online.

I'm already sick of school.


No comments: