Sunday, October 31, 2004

Review: SAW



From the first time I saw the trailer, I wanted to see this movie. It gave me the impression of being one of those dark, grungy, scary-violence feelings; to me the best kind of horror movie.

I have to say that I was not disappointed on this one. Even though it did have its share of foibles, all round it was a movie worthy of the admission price.

Without going much into the plot, its about a guy who takes people and more or less puts them in these sick, tortuous situations. You don't see the guy, you don' really know why he chose the people he did, but you do know that since the walls are grimy and the lighting is bad, some twisted shit is about to go down.

You could compare this movie to Se7en in the fact that its about a killer who is trying to teach people a lesson with his brutality. This is to me is your optimal horror flick; one that could happen in real life. People thought The Ring was scary, but in actuality it was just a boogieman coming through a TV set. Yawn.

The best thing about the movie is the atmosphere in which it takes place. Maybe I'm easily impressed, but the fact that the walls are grimy, the lighting is that dirty, low-light fluorescent green, and having a lot of the movie take place in a room that you could see taking place in the Kings Park Psychiatric Center did it for me.

Also, the gruesome situations the people were put in by the killer were great. They just made you say "HOLE-LEE SHIT" out loud when you were watching it. Beautiful.

However, the acting blew ass. Cary Elwes (whose life achievement has been Robin Hood: Men in Tights) looked more like a soap opera character than some guy about to saw his own foot off. Scenes were he was yelling because he couldn't reach a cell phone were just too ridiculous. People were laughing at the screen. The people I saw it with said it almost ruined the movie for them.

I thought it was cool regardless of the acting. Danny Glover pulled off an inspired performance as a black man. Actually a black cop. I don't think he's ever played one of those before.

The same people who said the acting almost ruined it for them said the ending made the movie awesome for them. It is a cool ending. I'm one of these guys who tries to figure out the ending 20 minutes in, either because some guy gave a dirty look or something like that, but I never get it right. This one I don't think anyone could be even close.

If you like horror movies or just want to see an unnerving flick, I definitely recommend this. It does the job without too much nonsense or 'that-would-never-happen' moments.

GRADE: A solid 89%



Why are old puppets always so fucking scary?

No comments: