Tuesday, November 29, 2005

A Date Which Will Live in Infamy

December 7. A date we are all taught about at a very young age. We all know of this date to be of supreme importance to our country. However, this December 7th will have a more profound impact, more life-altering consequences than Japanese ever imagined when they bombed Pearl Harbor.

December 7th, 2005. Taco Bell opens in Oneonta.

Now, I am a Taco Bell addict. I could eat there two times a day for the rest of my life. Where else could you get a full, satisfying meal for so cheap, one that is so stuffed with delicious Mexican tastes that sometimes I think if they one day passed a law saying only gay guys could eat Taco Bell, I would become "fabulous" just to partake?

That last sentence was all over the place. I'll give you a minute to gather your thoughts.

I'm sorry. But the thought of soon being able to indulge in crunchy tacos, chicken quesedillas, and the sultan of flavor, the Cheesy Gordita Crunch, whenever I feel like it makes me crazy. See? I did it again. But the fact is that Taco Bell was the last remaining piece of the fast food puzzle missing from Oneonta. And when you think of it, it is quite absurd to imagine that a town with TWO colleges could be sans T-Bell. Taco Bell is like the staple food of all peoples 18 - 26 years old.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Now right about now, you might be thinking I have a sick obsession with this fast food establishment. And up until a few days ago, I would have agreed with you: I never really met anyone outside of my circle of friends who loved Taco Bell so much; I mean, me and Silva drove nearly sixty miles round trip simply for some cheap Mexican food.

But you would be wrong. The buzz surrounding the opening of this place is amazing. Throughout campus, everyone not only is everyone anxiously anticipating the grand opening, but everyone knows the exact date. For a campus that really doesn't get all that involved in too many things going on around campus or in town (other than drinking,) this is amazing. It means that everyone else is as excited about it as me.

Now, knowing that a ton of kids must be awaiting the opening on both SUCO's and Hartwick's campuses (is there a plural for campus? Campi? No idea.), there are going to be lines out the ass there for about four days straight. Anyone who has gone to a Taco Bell around 1am on a weekend night knows that the drive-thru lines can build up quickly; you'll get ten, fifteen cars in line at some times. And knowing the build-up to this event is being anticipated like 5-year-olds on Christmas, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess they will run out of food on the first night/weekend (this actually is something I have encountered at a Taco Bell before.)

Kids are going to go apeshit for this place. Most oft he people I know, both the Bell obsessed and non-obsessed alike, will probably visit the restaurant within its first week. Everyone is so taco deprived that there is a craving rising in everyone. Hell, even I have only had it once in the last four months. You're going to think they are giving away 360s at this place, it'll be a zoo.

But now I know that on those late nights, when I'm drunk, tired, and pizza just will not do, I can head south of the border, get some Cheesy Gordita Crunches, and experience a moment of perfect contentment.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
It will be like this opening day, I don't
doubt that for a second.


4 comments:

Lisa Rocks said...

I would have worded it as "Taco Bell COMES BACK to Oneonta."
When I transferred to OState my sophmore year there was a taco bell in the Red Barrel gas station.
I never understood why they got rid of it because people loved it. I soon learned that all the Red Barrels removed their Taco Bells, since I went to visit Potsdam that very same semester and it was missing htere as well. Potsdam: a town more desolate and cold than Oneonta, and no more Taco Bell.

Where are they putting this new Taco Bell?

Dave said...

I don't count that one as Taco Bell. They might have had the signage and wrappers, but it wasn't a true Taco Bell experience. You can't be eating a Mexican Pizza and having someone getting a pack of menthols in the same building and call it a Taco Bell.

Lisa Rocks said...

We have a Pizza Hut/Taco Bell on campus.
Is that not a real taco bell because you can buy pizza too?

Dave said...

Well, if that Pizza Hut also has gas pumps outside, then no, it doesn't count.