Friday, October 08, 2004

CMJ Music Marathon


I'm using the next 72 hours to do nothing but schoolwork, as I will be attending the CMJ Music Marathon in New York City next week.

What is CMJ?
What is CMJ, you ask? CMJ stand for College Music Journal, a publication for those who care about college music. I don't care about college music, so why even bring it up?

Because CMJ also holds a yearly convention in the city. A four day tour-de-force of bands, panels, speakers, and such-n-such. SUNY Oneonta pays for members of the radio station at attend this, to learn more about the radio industry.

What this equates to in real life is ten members of WONY gallivanting around New York City, drinking and getting free stuff.

I'm sure we're going to shows and panel discussions, but this trip is more about having the freedom to run around the city on Oneonta's tab. The school pays for most of the hotel bill, as well as the $300 badges you need to get into these things.

CMJ also hosts parties around the city, and from what I hear if you have a badge, you can drink for free. Which means me, Mr. Wouldn't-Even-Try-to-Get-Into-Anyplace-Trendy will be going to clubs and stuff. I already know it'll be awkward, but whuttayagonnado?

The last night, CMJ is having one of its parties at The Pussycat Lounge, a topless bar. So if you follow the chain, my school is paying for me to go to a topless bar. Sweet. And by sweet I mean freakin' sweet.

Actually, I'm not even as excited about that as I am about seeing Al Franken (funny, but super-bias, liberal comedian), and Brian Wilson (one of the Beach Boys).

By some mystical set of circumstances, since we have this Monday off for Columbus Day, and we are leaving Wednesday morning, I only have classes on Tuesday. And not only do I have just one class on Tuesdays, but the fact that MY TEACHER CANCELLED CLASS THAT DAY means I don't have any class next week. Wow.

I'm not as thrilled about it as you might think. My inner school nerd is concerned about getting too far behind in my schoolwork. That is why I am using this weekend as a 72 work-a-thon, so I won't have to worry as much about missing classes.

I'm going to do a lot of audio posts while I'm in NYC, probably of both the sober and drunk variety.

I've got a lot of work to do. Bye.

[Update: I just found out that Trey Parker and Matt Stone (creators of South Park) will be at CMJ, will debut their new movie Team America: World Police, and will do and Q&A session afterwards. That's freakin' awesome!]

1 comment:

Lisa Rocks said...

I'm looknig foward to the panel on video game music. "Workshop: Video Gamesmanship
Composing and licensing music for video games is different from composing and licensing in other mediums. A panel of game makers, publishers and composers explain the steps."