Tuesday, September 28, 2004

And Why?!?


My favorite talk show host, and on my list of the top three funniest people in the world, Conan O'Brien has been given the green light by NBC to take over 'The Tonight Show' in five years. Fantastic news for anyone who loves 'Late Night' and thinks Jay Leno sucks fat ass.

I've been watching Conan for about 8 years now, as I can remember calling up NBC, trying to get tickets for my 14th birthday, but you have to be 16 to go to the show. I eventually did get to be in the studio audience a year or so ago.

Good thing Conan didn't jump ship to CBS or FOX to give it a go at those networks. I think NBC is established as the late night king, and to walk away from it would be foolish. I mean, take a look at Andy Richter's career since he left Late Night. He got to play second fiddle to the Olsen twins.

Conan's brand of humor is far and away superior to any of the other late night hosts: Leno, Letterman, and that little fag Craig Kilborn. Conan actually wrote for the Simpsons for a few seasons, during the time when they churned out the best episodes. Conan actually wrote the famous 'Monorail' episode, one of the best episodes of all time.

I feel a personal pride in Conan getting real big now, because I've been with him since the days when most people dismissed him as a weird redheaded idiot. I was in his corner when everyone shunned him. I dare anyone to tell me that Late Night's humor is still second to Leno's annoying, repetitive dick and weed jokes. Go shill for Doritos again.

Actually, I'm realizing that many of the jokes I had with my friends in high school were Conan inspired. 'And why?!?!' being one, along with 'Little Dilberts' and 'Half Jacksons'. The stuff I wrote in my senior blurb in my high school yearbook was from Conan (and the Simpsons).

I definitely have to write something about The Simpsons one of these days.

Kudos to you, Conan, kudos.


2 comments:

Lisa Rocks said...

Am I the only one that is not excited that Conan will take over as the Tonight Show host?
I started watching Conan was I was 14, like you: When Andy was on, and there were better sketches, (Amy Poehler, SNL cast memebers was a regualr on conana, my favoriter was Stacey Richter, Andy's little sister).
I feel that Conana has become too mainstream, not as adventerous as he was before. And with the move to 11:35p, will limit the things he can do. The Tongiht Show has older viewers. Will he cater to them? I have a feeling the answer is yes.

Rawrtian 14 said...

Where are you now?